The physical and emotional safety of our teens matters most to us. That is why we maintain a 1:2 staff to youth ratio while in the backcountry and have daily communications with the group while in the field.
We have an outstanding safety record due to several aspects of the program. InnerRoads has an excellent, trained and safe staff team. Our state licensure requires the practice of the most current, up-to-date safety field practices.
Safety is Our Top Priority
- Field staff members are required to have their Wilderness First Responder and CPR certifications.
- Teens are required to complete and pass a thorough physical exam by a licensed healthcare professional.
- Our Expedition Doctor and Program Director are on call 24 hours a day for questions and concerns with healthcare issues in the event of an emergency.
- Daily communication between field staff and our therapist ensure constant monitoring of each youth’s emotional needs and treatment progress.
- Our teens are outfitted with quality, appropriate and seasonal gear for their trek.
- Our teens are consistently monitored for proper hydration and nutrition. Our menu has been developed by a registered nutritionist to meet the needs of teenagers. Food is never withheld for behavior management or any other reason.
- Field staff consider emotional and physical safety in every decision made in the field.
- Field staff members have extensive knowledge in backcountry travel skills including map and compass as well as GPS technology.
- Field evacuation including the use of aircraft is available in the event of any emergency.